Sunday, September 14, 2008

Blue-Collar Nostalgia

While a student at Cal Poly, I held a part-time campus job as a custodian. I mainly worked inside the dorms. Management usually spared student workers from the grizzliest tasks--such as cleaning the bathrooms on Monday--requiring us instead to perform typical chores like vacuuming and mopping stairs. The dirty work was left to the full-time workers. I always felt horrible when these individuals had to clean vomit and human excrement off of a floor or sink because some immature freshman decided to drink too much alcohol and become senile in an over-zealous attempt to beat a senior at beirut or some other novel drinking game at Chad's frat party.  
I had the incredible fortune of becoming acquainted with several of these full-time custodians. In the coming week, I am going to share my experiences with some of them. As my outlook on life was deeply affected by these individuals, I look forward to reminiscing on my time spent with them. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

jenny baker said...

i am "tuned in!"

yes, the weather did remind me of oregon a little. it didn't rain everyday, it was overcast most of the time though.